Matsumaeya uses the highest quality "Makombu" above all the others. Makombu has been often used as a gift to a royal family.
- Makombu is known for rich in flavor, sweetness, and umami.
- The product is from Hokkaido, Japan.
Carefully Selected Two-Year Kombu, Premium Quality
Matsumaeya only use second year kombu. First year Kombu is larger in size but they are weaker in flavor, but Second year Kombu contains more umami and produces the best stock. Due to the global warming, to find Two-Year Kombu is getting harder and more valuable, but with the fisherman’s help, Matsumaeya’s Kombu is picked from the best shore every year to maintain the high-quality.
The process of making this dried Kombu seaweed is very time consuming because the seaweed is very thick and all the umami flavors have to soak back to the seaweed after boiling. They spend four times longer to cook this dried Kombu using a traditional Takizome technique, which produces the best result in pulling out the umami flavors and texture to be plump and soft. This Takizome technique is Matsumaeya’s original style and proudly preserved for 100 years.
The original seaweed is thick, but this product is thinly sliced and has very soft texture, so it will mix well with rice, noodle, veggies, and more. This product is very useful and handy for adding umami.
- Dressing - mix with sesame oil and vinegar
- Seasoning - add a pinch of this product on top of warm rice, tofu, noodles, soy base pastas, and more
- Mixing - mix a pinch to sliced tomato and cucumbers, instead of salt or dressing for healthier choice
- Cooking - mix with chopped cabbage and a pinch of sugar, microwave for a minute for a side dish